Zinc pyrithione is used as a topical agent in shampoos, bars, and creams. It has bactericidal and fungistatic properties.
It is used to treat problems including dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, and other hyperkeratotic skin disorders that cause itching, flaking, and irritation.
Zinc Pyrithione Dose in Adults
Zinc Pyrithione for Dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, hyperkeratotic skin conditions:
- Wash the affected areas at least two times a week or as directed.
Cream and spray:
- Apply to the affected area 1 - 3 times a day or as directed.
Shampoo and conditioner:
- Use at least two times a week for best results.
- It can be used with each washing.
Zinc Pyrithione Shampoo use in children:
Shampoo: Apply to the affected area two to three times a week.
Pregnancy and lactation:
It is a topical treatment and does not cause systemic absorption. It is safe to use in nursing and pregnant women.
Dose in kidney disease:
- No adjustment in the dose is required in patients with kidney disease.
Dose in Liver disease:
No adjustment in the dose is required in patients with liver disease.
Side effects of Zinc Pyrithione:
Itching, redness, hives, and blistering may rarely occur.
Contraindications & warnings
- Avoid the use of this formulation if you are allergic to zincpyrithione, or any other component. Allergies can occur, manifesting as hives and urticaria. A
- angioedema and hypotension may be signs of severe allergic reactions.
How to administer Zinc pyrithione?
- It is used for topical purposes only as a shampoo. It should be applied to wet hair and massaged into the scalp, avoiding contact with the eyes.
- The lather is then rinsed and if desired may be repeated.
- The lather cleansing bar is used topically using warm water, massaged into the affected areas, and rinsed.
Mechanism of action of Zinc Pyrithione:
- It is a zinc coordination complex compound used to treat seborrheic dermatology.
- By preventing the energy supply provided by the proton pump, it interferes with membrane transport.
International Brand Names of Zinc pyrithione:
- Dan Gard
- Dos Ele
- Healing Shampoo
- Stiefel ZNP
- Beta Med
- DHS Body Wash
- DHS Zinc
- Theraplex Z
- Vanicream Z-Bar
Zinc Pyrithione Brands in Pakistan:
No Brands Available in Pakistan.